SylvieSylvie originally comes from a city-state in a subtropic climate, but gets around a lot (though I'm keeping her in pre-modern fantasy settings). Her homeworld is a fantasy-kitchen-sink setting where magic is not usually flashy.
Sylvie is interested in anything connected with her field(s) - something in the general corner of botany-medicine-anatomy -, but for the most part looking for practical knowledge rather than philosophical questions. She does want to know how useful things work, or how things work to be able to do something useful with them.
When dealing with strangers she defaults to friendly interest. Part of this is practised manners rather than a completely genuine "I like everyone"-attitude. She has been taught a certain reserve, and taking care to leave a good impression, but she can get unselfconsciously enthusiastic when she gets caught up in something interesting.
AppearanceYou can view all images and sketches I ever considered good enough to upload on my private website - don't panic about the amount of details, I'm just providing it for people who lice that kind of info. :)
- Basics: human female, about 20–25, sort of dark-skinned (I’m a big foggy on skin colours myself, but "lighter end of African" would work), 1,70m (just under 5?7), slim
- Face: oval and longish, round jaw, round chin, thin upper lip, small nose, no pronounced cheekbones, very short eyebrows; slightly slanted, dark eyes
- Hair: dark auburn, very thick and somewhat uneven, kept long (usually about bottom-of-shoulderblades length), often tied together in some way, sometimes braided.
- Bearing: Defaults to quietly self-confident around strangers, but can get quite animated when a topic catches her interest, or when talking to friends.
- Clothes: tunics, shirts, trousers… Since she’s travelling a lot, she sticks with practical clothes rather than overly fancy. She does like dressing up, but rarely has the means or opportunity.According to custom where she’s from the outfit of a magic user of her rank should be between ½ and ¾ dark blue (older images have too much blue). Over time she gets more relaxed about that, but keeps the general trend up if it’s practical. Good secondary colours would be white or yellow, but never black.
Since Sylvie works magic through her hands, anything getting in the way there is right out, doubly so for metal. That means no rings, loose bracelets/bangles or sleeves with overlength, and gloves only when the weather demands them for warmth.
Activities and notes
- She’s curious and interested in learning and research. Forms that can take include lessons, library work, or crawling around in the wilderness looking for plant samples.
- Work for pay (or board and lodging) may include gardening, regrowing teeth, tree-doctoring, strengthening of wooden support beams in houses…
- While with the help of her magic she can get along on her own in not too hostile nature, she does not deal well with cold at all.
- Most of the obvious magic she works would involve shaping plants, or dead plant material (wood, rope, cloth). When it comes to flesh it's mostly simple "help a body to heal itself", though she can also perform some limited-scale transformations, particularly giving herself cat's eyes for night vision. For the really curious: Detail notes I took for writing.
- She knows and is friendly with Nico.
- If you enjoy drawing couples pictures, she [understatement]seems to have a thing[/understatement] for a certain rogueish half-elf not written by me, but neverwise would not mind. all images I drew of Sebastian; Sketches by his creator: , 
Links to further material
- Short to Very Short Fiction
- Perception - First steps towards learning magic (~1400 words)
- Learning Experience - Not so smooth steps towards learning magic (~600 words)
- Cut Roots to Grow - Vignette from the time she left Yrn for the first time (~230 words)
- Twilight Colours - another vignette (~200 words)
- Diary (380 words)
- Dark Thoughts - Short snippet from a story that might happen sometime, or be non-canon (~300 words)
- Party Plans (looses canon conversiation with Nico)
- RPG Appearances